Top foods you need to eat for healthy heart
We are celebrating World Heart Day tomorrow, September 29. It’s a good time to remind ourselves of the food we should be eating to maximize our heart health given one of the main causes of heart disease is poor diet.
Green Leafy Vegetables
Green, leafy vegetables are good for our bodies in general. Greens are a good source of Vitamin K which helps in protecting our arteries and promotes proper blood clotting. Go for greens that are popular for their additional health benefits such as kale or spinach.
Incorporating avocado in our diet has been shown to significantly help reduce cholesterol levels in our body. This superfruit has excellent monounsaturated fats and potassium content – essential to heart health.
Some types of seafood are excellent sources of Omega 3 Fatty acids which are good for the heart. Fish like salmon, tuna, or mackerel are some examples of these. There are other ways you can ensure Omega 3 intake such as:
- Therapeia Australia Omega 3 – an all vegan and all-natural fish oil alternative. The Omega 3 marine algae oil comes from sustainably farmed marine algae which are food sources of EPA and DHA for fish. It comes in soft gel caps that are easy to swallow and digest.
- Another great source of Omega 3,6 and 9 is Hemp Seed Oil. This is also an excellent source of protein plus it has anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe the body from the inside out.
- Grahams Mega Oil is formulated with enough Omega 3 oil and is easy to use in your favorite dishes or salads.
Snack on healthy nuts such as almonds and walnuts. Almonds are an excellent source of monounsaturated fats and fiber while walnuts are rich in micronutrients such as magnesium, manganese, and copper.
We recommend Lotus Organic Raw Almonds. You can roast and chop them and sprinkle over your favorite dessert or toss in your salad. We love the resealable pouch making it a great healthy snack on the go.
Get your chocolate fix and help your heart! Just make sure that you choose at least 70% dark chocolate which is rich in the antioxidants that promote healthy hearts.
We recommend Loving Earth Raw Organic Dark Chocolate. This bar has 72% raw Amazonico Criollo Cacao Beans from Peru and is 100% certified organic.
There are many other ways to eat healthy for your heart:
- Seeds such as chia and flax seeds are also great sources of heart-healthy nutrients.
- Use Olive Oil instead of common oil which will elevate the flavor of your dishes but is also good for your heart.
- Add garlic – it’s heart-friendly and also helps fight various diseases.
Happy World Heart Day!
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published