What is the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) Diet?
What is the AIP Diet?
- The Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) diet is a food-based approach that aims to heal inflammation in our body – specifically gut-related inflammation caused by an autoimmune disease.
- The AIP diet follows a strict list of food that you can and cannot eat with the goal to eliminate inflammation in our body. By doing this, the body can reset its immune system and put autoimmune conditions into remission.
- AIP is similar to the paleo diet, only it’s more restrictive. Some people adapt to AIP for several weeks while others see it as a long-term lifestyle change.
Foods You Can Eat with AIP
To kickstart AIP, you must be willing to adhere to a stern eating plan for weeks or even months before you can slowly include a new type of food into the diet. Like any strict diet, it’s worth seeking professional advice from a dietitian or nutritionist before starting.
You can eat plenty of:
- Nutrient-rich types of food especially those that are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon and hemp seeds
- Vegetables (excluding those that belong to the nightshade family)
- Lean meats and liver
- Coconut, coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado oil
- Fermented products that do not contain dairy
- Vinegar with no sugar content such as apple cider, balsamic or red wine
- Herbs, olive oil, arrowroot starch and limited portions of honey
Foods to Avoid with AIP
Now that you know what to eat, let’s see what type of food you should avoid.
- Nightshades including potatoes, eggplants, peppers, and tomatoes
- Dairy products, egg
- Grains and legumes
- Nuts, seeds, and vegetable or canola oils
- Processed foods
- Food with refined sugar
Benefits of Autoimmune Protocol
AIP works better with people that have autoimmune conditions because as mentioned, this diet aims to reset the body’s immune system. AIP is also designed to help heal leaky guts which is a common cause of AI disease. Although there is no solid clinical evidence to prove that AIP can heal autoimmune, many who follow it, claim their symptoms improved.
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published